What is concentration
We all know that focusing can make learning or working more effectively, but it does more than that. The human brain is a complex system that manages relationships between emotional and academic skills. People who cannot focus on doing things often have barriers to interpersonal relationships.
Concentrate describes the attitude of doing things. How focus you are and not easily to be affected by the outside world. High degree of concentration not only can improve the efficiency but also helps you stay calm when facing problems and express in your full potential.
Persistence of focus: the ability to focus on a particular project, such as doing homework, for a period of time.
Selective focus: Refers to the need to focus on a number of things, such as when a child is watching TV and the mother talks to him, the child can choose to receive his mother’s voice from the noise of the TV and make an appropriate response.
Separation of focus: refers to more than one job at a time. For example, children can look at the blackboard while listening to the teacher to explain, and while copying notes.
Alternating focus force: refers to receiving new instructions when doing one thing. Then you deal with the new instructions. After that is completed, you switch your mind back to the original one and continue working on it. For example, when you are reading a book but someone ask you to do something. After you help your friend, you can continue from the page that you read last time and still remember the story.
Visual and auditory focus: Something that can be memorized, analyzed and responded to appropriately after being seen or heard. For example, after you have seen an image or listened to a story, you can write down the details and answer about the image or the story.
Focus on goals
Achieving goals is an exhilarating thing. Getting ready to deal with obstacles will help you succeed. But be aware that to truly experience the glory and happiness of victory requires you to make a long-term effort and focus on achieving those goals. There are all sorts of things around us that can upset and distract you. So learning to focus on mental skills is a good habit of strengthening your focus and achieving your goals.
1. Imagine your success before you start taking any action. Describe the steps to achieve a specific goal and find the most efficient path.
2. Make a list of actions and arrange the time.
3. Isolate yourself. Keep the work area away from clutter, noise and irrelevant people. Turn off the TV, cell phone, radio and anything that might interfere with your attention.
4. Reasonable arrangement of work and rest time. For example, you can take a 2-3-hour uninterrupted time to complete a task one time, and then take a 15-30-minute break.Translate.
5. Appropriate arrangements for meditation or other specific activities during the work. You can close your eyes and imagine the scene of your goal when you breathe deeply. Then use this set of activities to induce the most optimized work mentality.
6. Track the completion of the work plan, and adopt a more effective new method to help you achieve your goals.
The Panasonic Electric industry (now Panasonic) founder, Konosuke Matsushita, had famous words: Do not give up immediately if you have a goal. Go for it step by step even if it’s just a little bit. Progress is the secret of success.
Often see people are animated if they have a goal and purpose of their life. After all, life is only to digest people’s daily work if they live aimlessly. They often make other people feel they have no energy and they don’t feel the joy of living.
Regardless of what kind of things, even if it is trivial, we set a goal and live the life that we can achieve is the most important.
It is often difficult to see our own strengths, but only to see others dressed in the bright side. They don’t know the how much efforts and experience other people make for their beauty of their life. We tend to see only the end result, ignoring the necessary process. It’s important to realize that if we spend the same amount of time and sweat to overcome the same arduous difficulties and experience the same many hardships, then we may also be able to achieve the same achievement as theirs.
Such focus, much wow
How to stay focus
Studies have shown that people can not stop playing their phones every six minutes, proving that maintaining “focus” is the hardest thing for them. How can we train ourselves to pay more attention with this age of full information disruption?
There are many distractions during work or study every day, for examples, phone calls, Facebook notification, gossip, etc. You find that the work is not done when the time is due. What you need to know is how to stay focus for a long time.
1. Take notes
For example, when reading a book, you should take notes at the same time even if you are just copying the transcription. Writing allows you to focus on the part you write and in the course of taking notes, you have a grasp of the knowledge of the book and keep up with the rhythm of the book. This is easy to keep your concentration status with a certain anti-interference ability.
2. Start working after waking up
You don’t have much things in your brain when you wake up. It’s a good time to start a task that need to stay focus for a long time. If your brain is full of chores, it’s hard to focus on one thing at a time.
3. Self practice
Practice makes perfect! You can take a training approach and adapt yourself to a long period of focus. What is the training content? First, start with one or two hours of focus instead of focusing on five or six hours. Alternatively, you can choose a routine time of day and keep a regular habit.
4. Stop interference
It’s so you don’t have time to take care of anything else. That is, when you’re not focused on something, you’ll want to do something else such as mobile phones and internet. Of course, if you can get to the stage of staying focused, these little distractions are not a problem. It also means that you should do one thing at a time and don’t multi task.
5. Don’t be too comfortable
I find it difficult to succeed when you want to read a four-hour textbook in bed. Even if you are just lying on the couch or stay at home, it’s still difficult for you to stay focused for a long time.
6. Use exercise to awaken your body
Exercise strengthens your blood circulation and allows your brain to get more oxygen. But if the exercise is too large, it may cause you to feel sleepy after two or three hours. So the proper exercise is enough to awaken the body.
There are 2 kinds of persons. Morning person got clear-minded in the morning but super sleepy at night. Night person is another way around.
In addition to the difference between morning and night people, in fact, every person has a good and bad time every day. That’s what we called Golden Time.
The rhythm of our daily life is controlled by a physiological clock. Every cell in the human body has a physiological clock. You can imagine your skin, liver, stomach etc, all the cells have a physiological clock in the operation.
Sometimes our attention is concentrated and sometimes is particularly lax, is also affected by the physiological clock. The physiological clock in the human body cannot be controlled simply by using the determination mechanism.
For those jobs that needs to stay focus for a long time such as athletes, surgeons, pilots, snipers are required long hours of deliberation and purposeful practice. Below are the exercise to practice focus.
1. Start from the management of energy. Cultivate a regular rhythm of life. Get up early and go to bed early.
2. Understand your golden hours which your focus level is high and work is the most effective. You can deal with the most important thing during those time periods.
3. Reduce interference. Stop surfing the internet and using mobile phones during work or study. Tidy up the surrounding objects. Get your tools and water ready with you.
4. Before you do something, set your goal and tell yourself how far you want to accomplish. Take a 5-minute break every 30 – 45 minutes to retain your energy.
5. Assign a time to practice focus consciously daily and record the time spent. For example, assign 5 minutes a day to play some mini concentration games to improve your attention.
6. Review your exercise and practice weekly. Record and view the focus time of each day and review it weekly. Recall the cause of the failure, and find the way for improvement.
7. Persist in doing sports every day such as jogging and push up. The length of attention time is directly related to personal physical quality. I haven’t done that at the moment.
8. Practice meditation. Starting at 3-5 minutes a day and increase the time gradually. When you’re able to sit for 30 minutes, you’ll find it’s not hard to focus consciously.
How well do you think your focus is? Now just look at this quiz and you will know! Now please use the shortest number of seconds, find all hidden “O” in Q.
The answer is: There are 2 “O” in this picture.
How many o do you find in total?
In fact, the researchers at London University College found that if you took a long time to find “O”, you might be more likely to have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder “ADHD”.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder “ADHD” was first discussed at the beginning of 20th century. In 1902, a doctor Georges Stiel (George Still), who was interested in childhood illnesses, published a related article in London. The main features are the focus, hyperactivity, and impulsivity, but these symptoms can make it difficult for them to follow the rules or maintain a fixed performance. The Mental Illness diagnostic guidelines published by the American Psychological Conference (DSM) were first described in 1980 as “abnormal hyperactivity in childhood”.
If you find all “O” in a short time, your concentration is very good!
But if you’re attracted to the comic character next to you, and even if you find that he has only one hand and no foot, that means you have a weak focus! Also, have you been affected by any people beside you?
Let’s share and let your family and friends to test their focus!
Focus lesson by A former Army sniper: SLLS: Stop, Look, Listen, and Smell :
He said, “Stop, Look, Listen, and Smell” the trick brought the intention and focus on the attitude of his life is very helpful, such as he can absorb and fully experience the journey of what has been seen and heard. But it’s hard learn such skill as to pause yourself to think and listen at a distracted moment. He suggests that you can set an alarm clock every two hours between 8 in the morning and at 8 o’clock, reminding yourself to “stop and listen” and reexamine what you’re doing.
The point is that you have to improve your concentration and pull yourself out of the act of stimulating reaction. Then think about what is the most important thing under your control so that you can regain your focus and purpose during stressful times. The alarm clock is just a start until you get used to it.